Constitution of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX
EThe constitution of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX (International Union of Toxicology), approved by the Permanent Commission of the Inter-ministerial Commission of Science and Technology, took place on March 29, 2004 in the General Sub-Directorate of International Programmes and Organizations of the Ministry of Education and Science, under the chairmanship of the deputy director, Mr. Esteban Manrique Reol.
Since February 2008 the committee has been made up of the following members:
Ana M. Cameán Fernández
Mª José Ruiz Leal
University of Valencia
Arturo Anadón Navarro
Complutense University of Madrid
Eduardo de la Peña de Torres
Higher Council of Scientific Investigations
Guillermina Font Pérez
University of Valencia
Josefina Gómez Fernández
National Institute of Toxicology and Forensic Sciences
David Ordóñez Escudero
University of Leon
University of Vigo
Basic rules of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX
The objective of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX is to serve as a link between the Public Administration and the Scientific Societies, with an international scope through IUTOX (International Union of Toxicology).
The Committee will be made up of a president and a secretary, appointed by the General Sub-directorate of International Programmes and Organizations, with the prior approval of the Permanent Commission of the Inter-ministerial Commission of Science and Technology, and at least four members, representing different areas involved in toxicology; and a representative of the Ministry of Education and Science.
Committee meetings will be held on an annual basis.
The Committee will issue reports to the Sub-directorate General for International Relations, provided that it acts as such, acting as a representative of the Ministry.
It will give maximum dissemination to the rest of the Scientific Community on issues that are considered of interest. In order to be able to do this, the committee will be allowed to use the web pages of the associations and entities represented therein.
Specific objectives of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX
- To coordinate the participation of the different groups which exist in universities and research organizations involved in studies related to Toxicology.
- To strengthen collaboration and academic exchange between the Doctoral and Master’s programmes in different countries involved in the study and research of Toxicology or related areas.
- To encourage the carrying out of joint research projects between teachers and researchers, student internships and academic events in which the Toxicology scientific associations of other countries are involved.
- To delve deeper into the study of short and long-term test methods used in the evaluation of carcinogenicity, mutagenicity and toxicity for the reproduction of substances and chemicals.
- To develop and standardize analytical methods for the identification and determination of exposure, effect and susceptibility biomarkers for chemicals and substances in humans and the environment.
- To apply methods for assessing the risk to human health and the environment of chemicals and substances.
Activities of the Spanish Toxicology Committee – IUTOX
- To formalize and consolidate cooperative relationships with other Spanish institutions and researchers that develop activities related to Toxicology, and who have already initially expressed their agreement to establish coordination with different universities and research centres
- To formalize and strengthen links between different academic units, research centres and research groups from Latin American universities that develop activities related to Toxicology, and who have initially expressed their interest in participating.
- To formalize and consolidate links between other external entities and universities and research centers that develop activities related to Toxicology and that would initially be interested in establishing this link.